We get asked a lot how we work together from home as a married couple. While, most people are really wondering how do you not get sick of each other?, there is one tip that's helped above all for working from home.
The Morning Meeting
During the week, we have a morning meeting at 8am. In the meeting, we decide how we're going to approach the day, what needs to get done, and divide up tasks. Usually it takes only about 10 minutes, but scheduling a time to think about how and what we're working towards was a game changer.
Why it Works
Reading the E-myth Revisted, by Michael Gerber, helped us realize the different roles needed to run a business:
- Entrepreneur - dreaming up what to do
- Manager - deciding how to do it
- Technician - getting stuff done
Without this structure, self-employment can quickly turn into spinning the wheels - being unsure what to do, working without taking the time to "look at the map," or staying busy without the forethought to find a more efficient way.
We've found if we skip out on any of these roles, we risk:
- Not dreaming big enough because we're bogged down with details
- Taking care of tasks without asking, what's the larger purpose?
- Talking about something, but not knowing how to take action
Of course, some days we can't have our morning meetings. But, just realizing we need all three mindsets has been the best way we've found to accomplish things that point us in a direction we want to go.
Cherry Vanilla Chia Pudding
Recently we've been busy with a few new photo projects. And often that means some mornings are a bit of a rush. We like to make chia puddings the night before because they're an easy breakfast that travels well (here's a few other ones from the blog).
Usually we use berries, but one day Nat tried cherries instead. Bingo. Cherry season is just around the corner, but frozen (pit removed) is probably best for this recipe.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp rosehip powder
- 1/4 tsp ground vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- Cacao nibs
- Nut butter
- Hemp seeds
- Dried cherries
- Fresh berries
- Blend - In a blender, blend all ingredients EXCEPT chia seeds.
- Mix in chia - Transfer blender liquid to a large bowl. Add in the chia seeds, and whisk to combine.
- Set Aside - Place mixture in the fridge, and let sit overnight or at least a few hours. We transfer ours into multiple jars, which makes it's easy to grab one portion at a time.
Photography team on the West Coast. Mostly working with companies and magazines in the food world. Our clients are proud of their product, story, or mission (or all three), and we help them produce their idea into a reality.